Monday, May 12, 2008

Bittersweet

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. Profound I know... you are all probably thinking, "duh Melanie" but this is an important day for me. My employment has gone from full time office manager and mother to just full time mother. Friday was the last day of work for me. My generous boss took Dave and I to the Chef's Table here in P-town to celebrate. I am sad to go. My kind hearted boss treated me very well and showed great appreciation for the work I have done for him. I enjoyed my job, and got quite proficient at it. Alas, it is time I move on. I now sit here on my living room floor next to my beautiful baby boy. He is my focus and my work now. I couldn't ask for a better calling in life. Nothing could have prompted to me to come to this screeching halt except him. I am happy to be here. What I do today will pattern what I do for the next who knows how many years until every child Dave and I will have grows up and out of our home. It is important to me to establish righteous traditions and habits. What I do today will determine my life tomorrow. I have goals and projects I would like to work on. I have other people in mind. I have chores to do. I have talents to strengthen. Wish me luck in this new phase of life.

8 comments:

Adam and Julie H. said...

Yeah for being a full time mom!

Suze B. Vinton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Suze B. Vinton said...

This is the most wonderful job you'll ever have and very rewarding. You'll love it.

Leslie said...

I understand what you are describing-- it's a wonderful thing to be at home; but it's a change of pace. I hope you enjoy it. I love being at home. I try to remember that I'll only get this chance once-- I can work anytime, but I only get to give my baby my undivided attention, while she's this age, now. Childhood is fleeting.

Katie said...

you don't need luck!! i already know you will be one of the best moms out there :-)

Camber said...

There is nothing better then being home! I wouldn't want to do anything else! Congrats you two!

quinten said...

What a beautiful way to look at your life. Your baby is truely blessed to have you and David.

S.K. said...

Melanie...you are amazing, and will be an amazing mom! Be sure to get out and visit with other moms and kids, it is good for both of you! We'll hang out when I get back to Provo in August! Have fun!