Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Tongue Tied??

So I have been kind of worried about weight gain during my pregnancy. I guess worried might not be the right word; it might be safer to say that I am REALLY not looking forward to having to take it off in the end. I know it's inevitable, but I would rather just not have to think about it at all :). This is a problem because I LOVE food; more than most people know. I tend to eat anything and everything I can see...it's a good thing I like to exercise too I guess! What led to this post in the first place however was the fact that I ran across someone else's blog wherein they are concerned about the lack of weight gain their little 5 month old is experiencing. After going to the doctor a number of times and trying to figure out what was wrong, they discovered that his lingual ferenulum was causing him more problems than they realized. In English that means that the little web thingy that attaches the tongue to the floor of the mouth was way too restricting for this little boy. His attached from nearly the tip of his tongue to right behind his bottom teeth (or where they would be). He was literally tongue tied. They snipped it right then and there at the doctor's office, and since that moment, he has been able to suck harder, eat better, and ultimately gain weight. WELL, when I read that, I had to sit there and giggle to myself because I don't have a lingual ferenulum! I know you are probably thinking that I actually do, but really, I don't. I can not only reach my tongue to the very bottom of my chin, I can curl it up over my nose as well. AND I can swallow it. I will have to post pictures of this as well. (I haven't posted pictures by the way, because our camera died, and I have yet to remember to charge it while I am at home.) Thus, the picture of the gross cow; I look something like that when I start sticking my tongue out. I also think it must be because I don't have a web thingy that makes me such a talented and vigorous eater! Maybe I will sew one in so I don't end up like this in a few years....

6 comments:

Jeffery and Nicole said...

Thanks! I love yours too! Nice pictures :)

Joanna said...

Wow. Things I never knew.

Unknown said...

eww, you can swallow your tongue!?

Jenn said...

That is very loverly mel. I am glad that you don't suffer from that!!! You are funny. I liked the blog it made me laugh!!

Amber said...

I have a freaky tongue too!!! It's crazy! Greg loves telling people about my tongue and then I have to show people that it's really true. It's nice to know that there are other people out there like me!

MidCityGal said...

Yeah, eating during pregnancy . . . good times. Right now I feel like I eat ALL the time. Seriously, I'll eat something and then two hours later my stomach will growl again. It's so weird! I too, am cautious about having to lose the weight again; and unfortunately or fortunately, the way your body responds to pregnancy has a lot of it has to do with genetics, rather than effort to gain or lose weight. Good times.