Monday, June 27, 2011

Update

I don't really know what to say. I just had the desire to get on here and write; it's therapeutic for me.
Three Children. Where do I begin? Three is not ACTUALLY as hard as I thought it was going to be. Well, maybe it is? I don't know. I had just prepared myself for wanting to melt down every day and not getting ANYTHING done. Don't get me wrong, sometimes those things happen, but for the most part I can deal. Right now I have a permanent headache and am sweaty and dirty all the time, but I think everything else is going ok.
I have had a lot of help these last three weeks and it has been most appreciated. I did find though, the longer I had help, the more I wanted to be on my own to really tackle life.
Carson is very sweet as usual. I don't ever have to worry about him getting jealous or trying to hurt the baby, or being too rough, or anything like that. He transitioned well with Drake, and is proving to be even better, and a bigger help with Brooks. He is such a delight.
Drake has surprised me. I thought he would have some problems welcoming a new baby into our home but he hasn't. He loves to lay on his tummy right by Brooks and talk to him all the while repeatedly touching foreheads or cheeks as a sign of affection. He says the same few things over and over again, "Hiiiiiii" (in the sweetest, highest little voice), "How ya doin'?" "Wook!" (he tries to show the baby various toys), "See Him" (when he wants to look at the baby). The only thing I have keep an eye on is the amount of weight Drake puts on Brooks when touching foreheads and cheeks.
Brooks continues to be a very good, sweet baby. He has his moments for sure (which he didn't until recently...he was THAT good), but I always know what the fussing is for. He never throws a fit JUST to do so. He doesn't like to be tired, REALLY doesn't like to be cold, and doesn't like to be hungry. He will demand those things when he wants them, and often likes to be held, but he still allows me to really enjoy him and ease through this transition better than another baby might.
He lost his belly button on my birthday; what a thoughtful baby :).
His initial dry skin is pretty well gone.
He has curly hair, but is so oily that you can't tell unless he is in the bathtub (it's even curly in the water) or fresh out.
His hair is still dark, I wonder if it will stay that way. I would love it.
He has a pretty awesome case of baby acne.
He continues to nurse pretty well. He seems to be growing rapidly.
He likes the attention from his brothers.
We really love our new addition.
One of my favorite things about a newborn is the spirit they bring into our home. It is such a reminder of the goodness of God. It's a powerful feeling and I am so grateful for the precious little souls.
Children are such a blessing. I also thank my lucky stars for the ability to have them. I know it is also an enormous blessing to be able to bear children when I would like, and to be healthy. I am keenly aware that not all share this particular gift. My heart goes out to them.
Dave and I are so excited about each of our three sons and look forward to the years ahead. It's amazing how much each of our children multiplies the joy in our lives. We thought we had it good when we got married, but Carson, Drake, and Brooks fill our hearts beyond capacity. All four of my boys really are the "things that matter most".

No comments: