Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Happy Due Date

Too bad I won't actually have a baby today... or if I did I would be shocked. Everything about this pregnancy has been different. Looks like labor and delivery are following suit.

Here is my history:

Carson - water broke at 5:00 pm on December 23rd.
Contractions started at 7:00 pm at 2 minutes apart.
He was born at 1:03 am December 24th.
Born at 36 weeks 6 days.
I started dilated to a whopping nothing.

Drake - contractions started at 2 minutes apart at 6:00 am.
He was born at 3:57 pm on August 31st.
Born at 39 weeks.
I started dilated to a 1.5(and the doctor was being generous).

Now, I am 40 weeks pregnant. I started having contractions a few days ago, but yesterday they were anywhere from 5-2o minutes apart. They have been painful, but I am not in labor. Frankly, it just doesn't hurt enough often enough.
I had a doctor's appointment today. I have been toying with the idea of having her break my water. I labored with Carson without it, and while it hurts like the dickens (the dickens being something I can't even describe because it's so awful), I know I can do it.
Too bad she told me it's all or nothing. She won't just break my water, she would have to schedule and induction with Pitocin and all, and I won't do that.
I have always been proud of my "head". It was what helped me excel in sports, and endure a number of difficult things in my life. I have mental toughness and some serious tenacity. I like to challenge myself and overcome. If I put my mind to it...it will happen.
This past week has really challenged me. It has been VERY mentally trying for a number of reasons. I don't really want to go into all of them. I have been wavering.
With all of this, it was SUCH a boost today to hear that I am dilated to a four!!!!! I was THRILLED to hear that. It refueled me. I have never made it to a four without some serious laboring before.
5 days ago, I was at:
-One centimeter dilated
-40% effaced
- minus two

Today, I was at:
-Four centimeters dilated (I was actually 3-4 but I have had enough painful contractions since, I am confident I am now to a 4)
-60% effaced
-minus one

The doctor told me, "I am not just saying this (which we have learned already from my previous appointment and post; she says it how it is), but I will be floored, shocked, utterly surprised if you are pregnant past Saturday. With the way your cervix feels, I really think you are very close."
In fact she left by saying, "See you in a day or two."

I REALLY hope she is right. Otherwise, my psyche will need another boost. Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh man! good luck!! i was a week and a half over my due date!!! :( i can empathize!!! just enjoy it before your world gets turned upside down --- i can't even imagine how wonderfully crazy it will be with THREE!!! :)

Heather said...

Yay! Remember yesterday I said it would be so great if the contractions you were having got you part of the way! Good luck, we're so excited to hear the news, I'm sure it will be soon!!!

Jenn said...

Hooray that is wonderful news! I really do think for every day a woman goes past her due date she should get a gold medal or something.

Russell and Jillian said...

Oh Mel! I do wish you luck! My water breaking has been my first sign of labor with both my kids so I don't know what it's like to labor WITH the water intact. Too bad you can't get yours broken. :( If it makes you feel any better, I had Tate with no meds after having to do Pitocin since labor wasn't progressing after 16 hours and my water had been broken for so long. If you absolutely had to do it on Pitocin, I know you could. You're tough! Good luck and I hope he decides to show up sometime soon.

Emily said...

We are thinking of you! Hang in there. We are excited to hear when he finally decides to come!