Monday, May 16, 2011

Never a Dull Moment

Dave and I signed up with Aflac July 17, 2010 as a supplemental insurance. They have a combination of policies that they call their "Maternity Plan". It no longer exists in Utah (and possibly Idaho) because so many mothers were doing it the company has lost money on it. Fortunately, that isn't the case in Colorado.
The only stipulation is that you cannot have a baby before 10 months of the effective date or you don't receive any of the benefits, you simply lose your premium money, and the show is over.
Do some quick math in your head...what is ten months from July 17th? Is it May 17th...18th...17....18?? What is considered the first of a new month??
With that in mind, guess who started having contractions yesterday? Yup, me.
After my bug on Friday, I felt alright on Saturday. Not 100%, but definitely better. Sunday rolled around and about half-way through sacrament meeting I was having the sweats and urges to vomit again. Timing could not have been worse, Dave and I were supposed to sing in a quartet with the famous Nick and Christina Bishop in five short minutes. AND it was acapella. The talk ended and I walked up to the stand; I was so focused on how I felt that I didn't get nervous singing . It was fabulous and probably the only time that will ever happen.
We finished the song and sat down; I felt alright at that point. Sunday School was blissfully uneventful and then YW rolled around.
After the opening song I started have contractions. Regular contractions. Mine start at 2 minutes apart and this time was no exception. They weren't bad enough to breathe through, but were also unmistakable.
At this point, I melted into my chair, relaxed myself as much as possible and tried to talk my body out of labor until Tuesday...Wednesday...I didn't know, but it was important to find out.
When we all got home I put myself on bed rest and called my Aflac agent to see when I could have the baby. He wasn't sure and informed me he would find out conclusively this morning and let me know.
Dave and I decided to put me on bed rest again today just to be safe. He is home taking care of one and all while I lay here bored out of my mind. He is such a wonderful husband.
I took the initiative to call Aflac HQ this morning to really figure out the plan. It turns out, the 17th is considered 10 full months. Hallelujah! I can have a baby tomorrow if that be the case. I will lay here through dinner, then resume life as normal.
I have also determined my nausea and sickness problem is most likely hormone related. I think this body of mine is simply warming up for the big event. Because of all the excitement, I have truly convinced myself that once I am off bed rest nothing will happen. You read that right...nothing will happen. I am even planning on going past my due date. If I think of it any differently I will drive myself crazy. We shall see what happens...

6 comments:

Jenn said...

Whew, scary! Drinks lots, take it easy.
BTW, I wrote "I'm pretty sure this baby will hang around for some time yet" about 4 hours before my water broke;)

Katie said...

Oh please, oh please go into labor in the next few days!!! I would be a happy girl :-)

Cory & Alli said...

Ah, scary! We did Aflac when we had Sadie, it was awesome! Anyway, can't wait to see pictures of a cute new baby!

Joanna said...

I read this post this morning and I need an update. Have you had the baby?

Melanie said...

Still here :). Reaching my Aflac date was a message to my body to stop the contractions...oh well. I am actually really grateful for a little bit of time to work as hard as I want to get some things done without fear of going into labor too soon.

Kenneth said...

Hello Brooks, you missed the due date but you look all the better for the wait of one hour plus.
We in Oz have been having updates from Grandad Crockett. Our son was due on the 1st of June also and he came on time well with three hours left or he would have arrived on the 2nd also.
Welcome to the wonderful world we live in, may you be blessed always with good health and a loving family.I hope Mother and Father are doing well also the family. Our thoughts have been with you.
Gillian from Sydney.