Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Letter to Elder Vager 1/4/11 - All our historic happenings

Hello Dearest Elder Fager,

It's amazing how much gets done with the family in town :). On the flip-side; it's amazing how much time it takes me to get everything done when they are gone. Humbug! Mom and Dad left early Saturday morning, and Katie left early Monday morning. Humbug again. It's nice having family in town. While they were here, they helped Dave and I shop for a new bed. Let me tell you about our old bed. It was a queen that Jenn got when she first moved to SanFran back in 2004. It is a cheap mattress to start with; you know the kind that doesn't even have a warranty...yeah... but after having two heavy bodies on it for a number of year it is a potential weapon of mass destruction. In addition to the regular wear and tear, somehow the thing manages to hold an electric charge and every time I make the bed, I get shocked, and not just the kind you barely notice and shrug off. It's the kind where you hear it, feel it, see it (the little zap between), and almost smell it. And, it's not just once, it's a few times or at least until it's satisfied. It also has springs protruding from the long sides and both top and bottom. These springs are eternally long, and incredibly sharp. I get annoyed just thinking about the number of gouges, scratches, and lacerations they've given us. For years, we have been cutting them off with wire cutters until yet another protrudes. When that wasn't enough, we would cut them off, and cover them with duct tape. Currently, we have to cut them off, cover the area with cardboard, and embarrassing amounts of duct tape. I think my favorite part is that the tie-dye duct tape that you sent me is even involved. To top it all off, our mattress no longer has square angles, it's looking rather trapezoidal. I showed mom the mattress when they were here just so someone could "appreciate" what we've been sleeping on for the past couple of years. The first comment out of her mouth was, "Oh, Melanie!" Followed by "Wow! I can't believe you've slept pregnant on that thing with two babies!" I felt validated in my misery :). That sealed the deal, we went mattress shopping immediately thereafter. Our new mattress should make it's appearance tomorrow and I CAN'T wait!!! It's better than Christmas! Being a big girl married to an even bigger hubby, we decided to get a.....wait for it....wait for it....KING sized mattress! We managed to take the guy down to just a bit above cost, and after getting the frame, mattress pad, and bedding, I feel a little weak in the knees. I truly feel like this is very worth it though.
Our other big news of the week is, we have a SUNBEAM! Where has time gone? I have two kids? Pregnant with my third?!?!? I walked Cute Carson (very pensive, Cute Carson) down the long hall to the primary room this past Sunday. He sat in the first chair available and was very reverent. So reverent in fact, that I thought he might cry. To my relief, he didn't. (Had he cried, I might have too). He enjoyed singing time, sharing time, and his new Sunbeam class. I was very proud of him knowing he would behave well and watching him make such a smooth transition.
Drake on the other hand is a holy terror at church. In two short months he will be in nursery. Can I get a hallelujah? I hope we can get over his "poosh" phase before then. He will come up to you, put both arms out in front of him like some Lineman, and say "poosh" as he demonstrates his defiance, or is "getting Carson back" for something, or wants a reaction (which I am working on not giving). It is so hard not to laugh, but I manage. He even muttered it earlier today when he didn't want his sippy cup anymore and threw it over the side of the high chair. He has recently started talking a lot more. When he isn't using real words, he has the cutest baby babble, which is amazingly effective. It is nice that he can communicate a little better.
Dave continues to amaze me. The man is incredible. He works hard, and is ALWAYS wonderful to me. Even if I have had a rough day and not terribly enthusiastic, he makes me fee like the worlds best wife and mother. He is, Matter of Fact, the worlds best husband and father. I am so blessed. He is settling into the bishopric nicely. Speaking of, in order to get to our 9:00 ward on time, or even a little early, like 8:45, I have to get up at 6:00 a.m. and scramble my ever growing fanny around the house, up and down, in and out, without a minute to spare. I am not complaining though, 1:00 was difficult.
I am doing well. I am 19 weeks and definitely in the "honeymoon phase" of pregnancy. The next email you get will be informing you whether you are going to be an aunt or an uncle :). I am thinking you will be 100% uncle and not 2/3rds uncle 1/3rd aunt.
I am sad we will be missing the funeral. Financially, we can't make flying happen, and driving would be crazy at the time of year. I guess the only ones that won't be there are me, Katie, and all the missionaries. I am relieved grandpa finally passed on though; I suppose some of the blessings of a long, drawn out death are: you get some good opportunities to say goodbye and prepare yourself as best you can.
I love you very much and am so proud of the work you are doing. I think it is inspiring that you are making the most you can of the few short months left. Hard work makes everyone happy. LOVE YOU!

Melanie

No comments: