Thursday, February 28, 2008

Police Statement

Since my blog is kind of like my journal, I figured I should share something that happened to Carson and I a couple of weeks ago at work. All of the men in my office (I am the only girl that works here) had gone to lunch when a strange and creepy man showed up. He was obviously living out of his car, and was clearly not himself. After a long and frightening series of events, I ended up calling 9-1-1. I was afraid for my safetfy since he had tried to get into my office which I had locked after he came back the second time and knew I was alone.
They dispatcher insisted I stay on the line with her until the police showed up and could make sure I was safe. Well, one officer showed up, then another, and then another. I had a parking lot full of cops. This man ended up being taken to jail but was so high that mid-trip, they ended up having to rush him to the hospital instead as he was having severe overdose reactions to all the drugs in his system. Not to worry, I am safe :)
Following is the statement I had to submit to the police. I tried to make it as unemotional and non-dramatic as possible. I figured they wanted something clear cut and straight forward as opposed to the nervous ramblings of a terrified new mother. So although I pretend like I was composed the whole way through, I would be lying to you to tell you that my heart was beating out of my chest and I was literally sweating by the time it was over....

Here it goes:

"I was sitting at my desk alone at the office when a man in a red Chevrolet pulled into the parking lot right outside my front window. He didn’t appear to have any clothes on and engaged in what seemed to be a lively conversation. He proceeded to continue this conversation while rummaging through the front and back of his car. In the meantime, he managed to dress himself in a red shirt and hat. I had also realized that there was no person in his car that he was talking to; just himself and that while he was in his car that it was full of necessities which would indicate he was living out of it. I had assumed he simply pulled into our parking lot as a pit-stop. He then opened his car door and got out to finish pulling up his overalls and adjust his clothing. He then got back in his car and proceeded to rummage some more. This all took place over approximately ten minutes. After a while, he got out of his car. He appeared to be quite unbalanced as I watched him stumble away from his vehicle and toward our office building. When he approached our building I became nervous because there was clearly something wrong, and I was all by myself. He walked into the entry way and remained there for about a minute before he entered the attorney’s offices adjacent to ours. At this point I quickly went to the back/adjoining door to lock it. Then I came around front and locked our office door. At this same time, he exited the attorney’s offices and went back out to his car. He got back into his car and proceeded to rummage through it for another few minutes. He then got out of his car and entered the attorney’s offices a second time. I could hear him walk around and then leave once again. At this time, he went to his car and rummaged for yet another ten minutes or so. Sometime in the middle of when this was happening, another office member (Larry) showed up to retrieve his cell phone. He watched this man’s behavior with me from our office window and suggested I call the police. I decided against it, and shortly thereafter the man started his car and sped out of the parking lot. He drove rather aggressively and erratically. When the man left, Larry did as well leaving me alone once again. Between five and ten minutes later, the man in the red Chevy pulled back into the parking lot. At this point I was very nervous and called 911 right away. He had seen me alone in the office (when I had locked the front door), and he clearly was under the influence of something. I watched him while I was on the phone with the dispatcher and he simply continued to rummage and re-arrange his car until the police showed up."

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Crazy guy! My favorite is that he was flopping around in the back of the police car while he was sitting there;-) Freako nature!

Nicole said...

That is scary! I had a dream the other night (weird dreams on bc) that our office got robbed by a patient and I was the only one there. He had a gun to my head for the meds! Good thing my story wasn't real:) I am glad you are safe!

Cindy said...

Oh my goodness Melanie, that is scary! I'm glad you're ok. Good thinking to call the police!

Mitzi said...

How frightening! I'm glad it's all over now and you are safe. There are some scary people in the world. Thank Heavenly Father for protecting us all!

(Did I ever tell you about the scary guy who kind of threatened to kill Sam at BYU?)

Ashley A. said...

That is a scary experience. Thank goodness you were protected and good job with the quick thinking!

MidCityGal said...

I don't blame you at all for being a nervous mother. They say that we become "mother bears" because of the obvious need to protect our little ones-- and I totally am so protective of her, especially when it comes to discerning potentially dangerous situations. I'm glad everything turned out okay for you both.

Gina said...

That must have been so frightening. Glad you're ok!

Joanna said...

Ahhh! Creepy, creepy, CREEPY! I'm so glad you're okay. What a terrifying experience.