Wednesday, November 14, 2007

You Said HOW Big?!?!?!

Dave and I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. We were particularly excited for this one because we were to receive another ultrasound. The last one at 19 weeks looked good, but the doctor wasn't able to see the baby's head as well as he would have liked so he scheduled us for another one a number of weeks down the road, and yesterday was the day. It was so exciting to see his little arms and legs again, and that precious little beating heart. My favorite however was seeing his face. Last time because he was so buried, we didn't see ANY of it. This time we saw perfect little eyes, his little button nose, and his adorable puckered lips. He was once again proud to be a boy and showed us all his glory. I also got to see why I can't ever breathe... he's got his bum and legs wedged underneath my right rib...
After taking a number of measurements and indulging us a little with extra explanations of what was what etc, we discovered something. We will be delivering a full sized man (or so we think). The doctor showed us his growth progress on those little charts and explained that we have a HUGE baby on the way. Although Carson is only 31 weeks as of yesterday, he is measuring as though he is 33 weeks. He is in the 97th percentile!!! I asked the doctor about the due date and he said you generally only move them in the beginning of the pregnancy. AND since I am very regular, and know when I ovulate, there really is now question that I am truly only 31 weeks along. However, according the computer program that my doctor has tied to his ultrasound readings, the date has moved. We have had three ultrasounds total. The first was at 11 weeks because the heartbeat was undetectable with the audio unit, and the doctor wanted to make sure everything was alright. I had one at 19 weeks to determine that Carson is proud of his manhood, and another one yesterday for that better look at his head (which it looks great by the way). With each of the ultrasounds, my dates have moved accordingly:
January 16th
January 12th
January 3rd!!!!!!!
BUT because Dave and I are by no means "average" sized people, we do NOT plan on have an average sized baby. Simply put, Carson is HUGE and will continue to be so until he pops out. I predict at this point, that he will come to join us anywhere from January 13th, to January 16th, and that he will weigh over 9 pounds, and be 22 inches long. We will see how close I get....

5 comments:

MidCityGal said...

Wow, Melanie! We are frighteningly similar! We must be giving birth to twins separated in heaven-- or something like that. At my last appt., 29 weeks, I was measuring at 33 weeks (only by fundal height). And I KNOW for sure that my dates are not 4 weeks off, maybe a day or two, but certainly not that much. My dr. didn't seem concerned, although I am starting to get concerned. If I'm still off at my next appt, I'm going to request an ultrasound.

Sounds like your dr is pretty convinced that your babe really is that big. What is the plan now? Is there any way to monitor you and induce so you won't have to give birth to such a large baby? More ultrasounds?

I'm very interested to see how everything will turn out for both of us. The similarities in our pregnancies are uncanny! Definitely keep me updated.

Just Only Me said...

Don't you LOVE that? I loved it when my due dates moved sooner than later. Glad to hear that things are going well and he looks big and healthy! Hang in there and keep us posted!!

Amber said...

Oh, my friend. Carson sounds like he's getting good and ready to come into the world. New Year's baby, huh? For the sake of the both of you, I hope that tries to give you room to breathe and doesn't cause too much pain with his grand entrance? I was a nine-pounder, were you and dave big babies because he just might take after you two? So cute... time to play the waiting game and see soon... :)

S.K. said...

My guess, for what it's worth...8 lbs. 12 oz. and 22.5 inches. I'm probably way off, but it is fun to guess.
Sheri

Jenn said...

I am guessing how big "C" will be...12 lbs 3 oz. 34 inches long;-)