Thursday, June 6, 2013

Worst Moment To Date

Dave was at the temple tonight and I was enjoying a late dinner with the boys after playing outside with our neighbors and enjoying the ideal weather. Everyone was relaxed and for a small perfect moment, nobody was fighting, and everyone was eating. That was when the retching started. I looked up to find Carson unable to breathe, throw-up, or swallow. I immediately grabbed the container in front of me hoping he would vomit in it and relieve the problem.
"Are you choking?" I blurted out.
He gave me a quick nod. It seemed dire. He was panicked and silently sobbing. I felt the same but knew I had to keep it together.
"Do I need to call 911?"
He shook his head.
I started thumping pretty hard on his back. Carson did. not. like. that. He made it clear he wanted me to stop, but frankly, I would have cracked a rib or two if it would have made the difference between losing him or not.
It was an intense 30 seconds or so. Nothing seemed to be moving in or out, up or down. I don't know what made the difference or how it became dislodged but  finally, Carson started to cough and cry. I loved hearing his cry as a baby, but that was nothing compared to this. He was scared, but he was ok.
"What happened?" I asked Carson while I practically hugged him into another choking session.
"I tried to swallow a grape without chewing it," he told me.
I don't even know why I asked, I didn't care what it was, how it happened, etc. I was just so grateful he was alive. 
 After a lot of hugging, and a quick discussion about how we were grateful Heavenly Father saved Carson we were back to our perfect evening except for the fact that I myself might have suffered permanent heart damage from the episode. Talk about a reality check. I hate that it sometimes takes situations like this to slap me across the face to remind me what really matters, but I love the renewed perspective and love that I feel. I am seriously, and so very blessed. I have the most amazing husband and children and especially tonight - I love my Carson. 

3 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

that JUST happened to us on sunday with layla. she was chocking turning borderline purple. so, so scary!!! i'm glad he is ok!!

Nate and Julie said...

So scary! Glad everything is ok!

Heather said...

How scary!!!! My worst nightmare!! Glad he is okay!