Sunday, November 25, 2012

Preschool!

 Carson and Drake are both doing preschool this year. This is the first year I have enrolled Carson in an official preschool program and so far Carson has really enjoyed the crafts they do and the books they read. I have quit asking him what he is learning because he gets kinda irritated answering the same thing over and over again, "nothing mom, I don't learn anything in school". He is right though, they did preliminary testing as the beginning of the year and the teachers sent home a report telling me he already knows everything on the curriculum. He passed every single item off the list including his address and phone number.
Drake and I are doing a special little preschool together. I was going to join a co-op but EVERY other child in it lives quite a ways away from us. We would have been doing a lot of commuting. Instead I chose to focus the time Carson is away at school entirely on Drake. It makes me slow down a bit and really prioritize my life. Kids before cleaning, cooking, laundry, shopping, callings, etc. We spend a couple of hours twice a week to focus on letters, writing his name, a fine motor skill, gross motor skill, a craft, and some sort of memorization. Drake has really blossomed in this little program and he and I have bonded over school. He loves doing it, and I love exploring his world with him. It has been a big blessing and something I just might have to institute with the rest of my kids.






1 comment:

Heather said...

How fun for both of you! I often think of Drake these days because my Ray reminds me a lot of Drake at this age: big (okay, huge haha), sweet and mellow, but sometimes a screamer. We sure miss you guys!