Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A walk down memory lane

A couple of weekends back, a good friend and former teammate of mine came into town to coach her team in a big volleyball tournament. Jillian and I played together for quite a few seasons. Walking into the convention center to see hundreds upon hundreds of teams playing the sport I love and DEARLY miss flooded me with a wide variety of deep emotions. Maybe someday I will write in detail about my knee. Some of you know what I am talking about others don't. Suffice it to say, it has shaped who I am as much as any other event in my life; marriage and kids included. 'Nuff about that.
I stole this picture from Jillians blog - I am so glad she snapped a picture!
Besides getting to hang out with Jills, one of the highlights of the tournament was the woman that took a liking to Drake during one of the matches we (me and my little men) were watching. Drake and Carson were wild little animals by this point and despite the lunch I packed decided the food from the floor, random duffel bags, and complete strangers was preferable.
"You want some?" I hear a voice say. And before I know it, I snap my head around to find a gruff, yet friendly woman feeding my child Philly Cheese Steak from her very own fork, glistening with animal fat. I was immediately freaked out but it was too late, the germy exchange had already been made. The match went on as well as the feeding frenzy at the zoo.
"What a great little guy he is; can I take him home with me?" she joked at the end of the match.
"You bet!" Was my response, and at that point - I was mostly serious.
"Oh good!" she exclaimed turning to Drake, "my wife would just LOVE you!"
At that point, I decided to take him home with me :).
*I wanted to share this funny story, but don't want to risk sounding judgmental or self-righteous. The woman was truly a kind, kind soul and really helped me out in a couple of tight spots while I was trying to feed the baby and the boys were going crazy. She was a delight to talk to and was very thoughtful. I just know the importance of a mother and a father :).

6 comments:

Russell and Jillian said...

I still think that's my highlight too. That story was hilarious! And would have totally freaked me out too...me being a germophobe and all. I can't believe they were eating all those scraps from what the girls had left on the floor! It was so fun to see you and maybe I'll be able to come to that tournament again next year! Thanks Melanie!

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh my gosh! i would've DIED!!! seriously. isn't it funny how strangers feel the need to interact with our kids without being invited to!? esepcially to the extreme of FEEDING your child! ha! that's awful!

Laura said...

Hahahha oh boys :) I like your little story too. Gives a great visual :)

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Posted twice, hence the deleted post :) Sorry!

Gina said...

That's hilarious. The story got better and better. So cool you and Jillian got to see each other!