Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Bedtime

Sometimes I think I would prefer rubbing my eyeballs with onions to putting my children to bed. If I had a freshly cut onion this evening I would have taken that option.
This is how tonight went:

6:00 - 7:00 Brooks fussed non-stop. I love to cuddle the little bug, but you should have seen my house and especially kitchen...it looked like every cupboard, closet, and drawer had the stomach flu. Alas, it was a balancing act and I did my best. I finally started nursing the poor boy at around 6:50. Feeding him can be a challenge. He nurses like a champ but his little arms get all wound up, and once his mouth is working, his arms are "let go" and start whipping around like crazy. Unfortunately, they never stop.
Also, he has many much teeth and likes to bite...nuff said.

7:30 - Scriptures and Prayers with Carson and Drake. I am pretty sure Dave was reading but all I remember was the brouhaha in the family room in the form of wild little boys.

7:40-8:00 - Dave got the boys down while I mumbled incoherently lying lifeless on the couch.

8:00 - 9:30 - A small herd of elephants was drinking at the water trough which must have been in the boys room...there is NO way those two tiny bodies were making THAT much noise...

Rather than sleep, my little boys frequently pound fiercely on the door and scream our names until we come see what the terrible matter is. In the time the boys were supposed to be sleeping there were multiple door banging episodes with various excuses as to why they were still up. Here they are in chronological order:

1) Nothing! (No reason, just banging on the door and yelling "mommy!" because it seemed like fun)
2) "I need a sucker!"
3) "I need a cough drop"
4) "My penis hurts"
5) "I was spitting on Carson"
6) "I need to go potty"

And last but not least; my very favorite...

7) "I'm tired"

Alas, these little imps are the most blessed things in our lives. No doubt, tonight when we check on them, their peaceful, innocent, perfect little sleeping faces will melt our hearts all over again and give us just the oomph we need to do it all again tomorrow. What a wonderful life!

3 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh boy, i can totally relate! there must be something wierd in the water. usually jax is a pretty good sleeper... but last night he went to bed at 8, woke up at 1:30, went back to sleep at 2:20, woke up at 2:50, went back to sleep at 4:00, and then woke up at 6:30. are you JOKING me??? we are DYING today.

i love their excuses! jax said he was tired last night too. if you are tired, then please go to sleep, right?

Nika said...

This is hilarious. I am Leslee Sitton's sister and I was told that I had to read this post when I was telling my mom some of what happens at bedtime around here. My kids are 4,3 and 17 months so I can very much relate.

Holly said...

My dearest Melanie, I just want you to know that Stephen and I literally laughed until we cried reading this. We wish we were your neighbors. We just love and miss you guys! :)