Thursday, April 24, 2008

Toenails

This past Sunday I painted my toenails. You might ask why I think this is significant; well, I will explain…

It all started 5 months ago, December 16th to be exact. I was beginning my 9th month of pregnancy and feeling rather large and unattractive. Dave was gone at some meetings and I was bored so I decided to paint my toenails. I wanted to draw attention away from my ever encroaching and swelling skin (my feet were starting to look like big balls of pink play dough that a small child had squeezed in their pudgy little hand – gotta love pitting edema) , as well as have some fun toes when I went into labor. So, I went to the closet and pulled out the most seasonal/fun color I could find. Bright RED! After all, it was Christmas time. I sat myself down on the couch with the intent to lean down to my feet firmly planted on the floor to begin my masterpiece. It was here I ran into some problems. My baby bump was causing some issues. I could either hyper-ventilate, suck in, lean over my beach ball belly, and hold my breath in hopes I could get through as many toenails as possible, all the while turning beet red, with bulgy eyes, and popping veins, or find another equally awkward, yet more comfortable solution. I opted for door number two. I wriggle myself into another position in which one foot at a time was propped up on our couch within reaching distance of my outstretched arm. Thinking I of course would be so careful to not spill (since I never had before); I didn’t put any kind of protection down. Even though you probably don’t need me to explain what happened I will anyway; you guessed it – I spilled. I can’t remember what let to what but somehow I managed to drag my wet toenails across the carpet, and spill the open bottle on the couch and floor. Just call me Grace. It was AWFUL. I was horrified! I waddled my big self around the apartment gathering up all the supplies I could think of that could possibly help the problem. Memories of my little brother David were flashing through my brain all the while. Just to save face, I will tell you that it was another one of my sisters, not me, that was babysitting him when he was supposed to be in bed; instead he had crawled into the top of a closet, pulled out all my sisters’ fingernail polish, and proceeded to dump it all over the floor. My whole family tried for hours to revive the carpet, but it was no use. We ended up having to replace the entire bedroom floor.
I was just imagining how fun it was going to have a blazing red stain on our couch that wasn’t even a year old, and Wymount telling us we had to replace all the carpet in the apartment even though it was hideous Berber that has been there since the pioneers reached the Salt Lake valley. With this thought in mind I worked fast and furiously to reverse the damage. 45 minutes later Dave walked through the door to find me sobbing and scrubbing a floor cleaner/fingernail polish remover saturated floor and couch.
Dave gently pulled me away from the wreckage, told me it was okay, and proceeded to finish the job. When he was done, he sat me down, and carefully and lovingly painted my toenails for me. It was amazing that after that kind gesture it didn’t really matter what the couch and floor looked like. Those things were no longer important
One short week later, I entered Utah Valley Regional Medical Center and delivered the most perfect baby boy. If I wasn’t on the labor and delivery floor, they would have though I was a life-flight victim with no chance of survival, BUT my toes still looked beautiful.
This finally brings me to where I am today. Since that bittersweet experience, I hadn’t touched my toes. Eventually the bright red polish chipped away, but I was slightly traumatized and nervous about pulling out any sort of super-staining product. However, on Sunday I built up the courage to paint my toenails “Cranberry”. I know it’s silly, but it is so fun for me to look down at my toes and think to myself that they look rather nice! It’s just one of many small things that make life worth living. You gotta find joy in the small stuff.

11 comments:

Katie said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this blog entry. I giggled through your descriptions of trying to paint your toenails and then "ohhed" at how cute Dave handled the situation. I do remember those red toes during labor. Great story, you are a good writer.

Jenn said...

Gotta have sexy feet when you are pushing! Hello, it distracts the doctors from looking at the "other view". =) I need to paint toenails. My toenails have a 2 week life and then it is time to REPAINT!

Nicole said...

Love it! you are awesome! Yea that picture of Jeff is one of my favorites:) How have you guys been doing? Carson is growing up so fast!

Amber said...

I attempted to paint my toenails a few months ago and I was uncomfortable then---you're amazing for even trying. I actually went and got a pedicure last week as my pregnancy treat of the week. The nurse even complimented my toes at the hospital this weekend--- woo hoo, my mission was accomplished. Hopefully, they'll last for the real deal!

Jessica said...

That was one of the funniest blogs I have read. Yeah we are all gone now. Sad huh? We will miss the ward...not so sure about the actual apartment :p We definitely need to keep in contact! Hope all is well :D

Just Only Me said...

I love pretty toenails, you can't ever go too girlie and it's just a fun place to be expressive! I found some rhinestones that I put on mine, small purple heart ones! I just wish that I had more than 10toes to paint! You are a good writer, I always love your blog posts. You always make me giggle!

Unknown said...

Good for you, I like pretty toenails too.

Unknown said...

Melanie, your husband is so sweet!

Katie said...

Your stories make me smile and laugh!!! I am glad you I got to relive that experience with you by reading the blog!!

Lacey said...

How funny! Yes I remember you! Kate was a daughter of a really good friend of mine. We've been friends from college and now we just live 10 minutes from each other and so we get together a lot. It was really hard for me when Kate past away because Marcae and I were pregnant at the same time and we spent a lot of time together with the girls...well as much as we could with Kate in Primary Childrens. They are the most amazing people I know. It's such a small world. Your little boy is so cute. I've seen pictures of him on Jenn's blog. It's been good to catch up with old Montana friends! Stay in touch!

Laura said...

The Wymount carpet could stand to be updated, so spilling on it may not have been such a bad thing! I saw you guys walking on Saturday and you all looked so great! Carson is adorable!