Friday, September 14, 2007

Saturday Projects

Summer Saturdays were when Dave and I used to be able to play. Since school has started, this is going to and has already changed. This past Saturday we woke up a little early and went and played some volleyball with some friends and my sister Katie. When that was over Dave went to an intramural football practice and Katie and I headed to Home Depot. Katie's apartment at school was in dire need of some shelves. We had gone to Wal-Mart the previous week to find something suitable; but to no avail. This is when we decided to take this task on ourselves. At home depot we found:

A 8" x 8' board (which the Home Depot guy was more than willing to cut in half for Katie...)
for $2.75 ish
A few screws - $2.00
Sandpaper - $2.00 ish
A sponge brush - $0.59
L frames to hang the shelves - $2.50 ish
Stain - $5.75 ish
So $17.15 later, we had all the makings for shelves. We went to my apartment to spend the day. When Dave came home, it became very clear to me that both he and my sister had PLENTY of homework to do so I was left to cook, clean, and do laundry.... woo hoo.
This was when I decided to take this "shelf project" on with vigor!

I started sanding...


...and sanding....
....AND sanding. I was focused (as noted by my protruding tongue). The tongue thing is a trait that I got from my dad. When either of us is working on something, or focused in any way, our tongues poke through our lips and start to kind of pulse up and down in a rhythmic manner.



When all the sanding was said and done, I proceede to stain the shelves. I was a little worried about doing this just because pregnancy + chemicals = no good. But I figured I was alright to do this outside. I think the actual staining was my favorite step in the process.

Here are the shelves drying.


When the shelves had dried, Dave was a great sport and hung the shelves in Katie's apartment. He was so cute (I mean tough, and manly, and skilled) with his level, and tools.

Here is the final product
So now that the shelves are done, I don't really know what to do this upcoming Saturday. I didn't realize how worthwhile and fulfilling making shelves would be. I love to read, but can only read for so long when it is a beautiful day outside. I love to sew, but don't have a sewing machine, and I don't mind cleaning, but I don't really think of cleaning as a "project". So if any of you have any suggestion on fun/cheap projects I can fill my Saturdays with, I would love to hear them.

5 comments:

Just Only Me said...

Yay for new shelves, you guys did a great job! All the energy and effort did pay off, they look great! (one's a little crooked...ha just kidding) Way to go.

Russell and Jillian said...

I'm ashamed to say that I've never taken on a project like that by myself...yet. Maybe someday :) But, YOU did a GREAT job! What a good older sister you are and way to go Dave for helping out too. They look awesome! I'd hire you ;)

MidCityGal said...

Those look fabulous. I watch so much HGTV that I am totally inspired by do-it-yourself projects. Although finishing ones that look presentable is kind of hard for me. Great work. I'm really impressed.

Gina said...

I am totally cracking up over the tongue thing. I must admit that my tongue tends to sneak out once in awhile when I am focused on something. Love the shelves. Good work!

Amber said...

Ya'll did a fantastic job! Did you keep yourself busy today? :) My tongue totally does the same thing when I concentrate too hard, Greg thinks it's funny.