Thursday, December 8, 2011

Please be on the lookout for my brain...

...it's gone missing.
I don't know what is wrong with me lately but being such a ding-a-ling is exhausting! Here is a sampling:
Yesterday morning I took Brooks to a Neuro and Plastic Surgery consultation. His head is a bit lopsided and his Pediatrician had referred us.
"Do you have your insurance card?" the peppy receptionist chirped.
I started digging through my "black hole" as Dave calls it; aka my purse. I continued digging and digging and digging...
no wallet.
Gut punch.
I had NO clue where my wallet was, usually I know when my purse has been tampered with but there was nothing unusual and I was certain my wallet should be in it.
After much searching and panicking and a couple of phone calls I finally learned I had left it at Sprouts the day before. Awesome.
Then, yesterday evening I was in charge of the YM/YW joint activity and we were caroling at a Nursing home for those suffering from Dementia diseases and Alzheimers. I piled a number of people in my car (including poor, sweet Carson) and enjoyed singing my little heart out for the cute elderly people. One adorable little man kept shuffling back and forth in front of us and wouldn't sit down so eventually was sent to his room. Another sweet woman was warbling along with us for all she was worth. It was seriously heart-warming. Another just sat and cried. When all was said and done we meandered out to the cars to go home. I realized quickly that I wasn't carrying my purse and must have left it in one of the three building we caroled at. Feeling silly already because these buildings required a code AND a key card to get in and out of (due to the large numbers of attempted escapees on a daily basis), I followed a worker around to each building only to come up empty handed. I am sure I drover her bonkers by the number of times I squeaked, "I am so sorry! Merry Christmas!"
I hobbled quickly back to the car and peered in the windows. There it sat, right on the floor between the driver and passenger seats. My purse.
Phone calls, youth shuffling, and many apologies later, my friend (and other counselor) Melanie, Carson and I stood out in the cold waiting for my knight in shining armor to come deliver the keys.
I sent Carson with Dave who was headed straight back home, and drove back to the church with Mel. Even though there were only two turns required...yes, just two; I managed to take a wrong one. Go me.
We finally arrived at the church I dropped her off, convinced her I wasn't pregnant even though I wish I had an excuse for my brain, apologized yet again and went home.
Ten minutes later I snuck into Carson's room to give him a hug and kiss goodnight when he sat up and said,
"Mommy, you drove away with the hymn book on top of your car but that's ok because daddy and I picked it up for you"...

2 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

oh man!!! that sounds like how i was at the beginning of this pregnancy!!!! ha! maybe you're pregnant??? :-) and it IS exhausting to be so absent-minded, huh!? i feel your pain!! hopefully your mind comes back soon!

Emily said...

Good to know I'm not the only one! So funny!