Friday, April 22, 2011

Preoccupied

I went in for an OB appointment last Friday. I was 33 weeks 2 days. I endured the lovely Group B Strep Test (I was positive with Carson and negative with Drake...). Then, I heard Brooks' heartbeat at 140 bpm. Lastly, I was to be measured.
"31.5" the doctor said. "You didn't grow from last time."
Initially I was pleased because who wants to walk around fat all the time?
"I'm not too worried about you; as long as you are between 31 and 34, I think that is good."
I thanked the doctor and we parted ways.
The rest of the day I wasn't too concerned, but Saturday rolled around and I was becoming more and more "preoccupied" by it. By the time Sunday hit, it was on my mind the vast majority of the time. To top it all off, I wore a dress to church that I shouldn't have. It accentuated more belly than I actually have.
"I can finally tell you are pregnant!" I heard 500 times.
The fact that I HADN'T grown in 3 weeks made this statement so much worse. While everyone's intentions were nothing but kind, I still wanted to scream, "oh yeah! Then how come you didn't say that THREE weeks ago when I ACTUALLY grew! I'm STILL the same size!"
I never thought I would actually want to be bigger.
I called the Dr. Sunday evening and left a message, then again Monday when I didn't hear back.
I was scheduled for an ultrasound on Wednesday.
The tech wouldn't tell me much even though and grilled and pushed her as much as I dare. What I did learn was that the baby was measuring at appx. 35 weeks, or 5 pounds 3 ounces. I was tickled pink to hear these numbers. I also learned my fluid levels were at 15. Between 5 and 20 is good.
The two things I have been most concerned about are my placental condition, and fluid levels. Both seemed to be just fine. I haven't heard back from the doctor, but I think that is a good thing.
The only thing I can reason for being "so small" is that I am simply carrying an average sized baby. By this point, but Carson and Drake have been humongous. I have measured small with them as well, and they were even a couple of pounds bigger, so with a smaller baby, I have an even smaller tummy.
I am now more certain than ever with all three babies, that Brooks is a boy. It's been very obvious with all three, but some things were more clear than ANYTHING else on the ultrasound.
Lastly, my favorite part of seeing the baby was his puckered lips. I have gotten pretty good at reading ultrasounds and noticed what seemed to be Brooks "kissing" my uterus.
"Is he puckering his lips?" I asked.
The tech started laughing heartily and trying to capture the moment for me. "He totally is!" She exclaimed.
Little Brooks had such a kissy face with majorly puckered lips it almost seemed fake. He had his luscious lips out as far as he could get 'em.
All at once it stopped but it was sure enough to make my day :).
I'm so grateful yet again for a healthy baby. I am still preoccupied, but it is by all my wonderful blessings!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

The measuring of fundal height (I'm assuming that's what you're referring to) is NOT a precise science. I actually measured SMALLER once than I had previously- especially if the measurement is done by a different person that's totally normal. You're so tall and have a long torso, so I'm not surprised if you aren't all huge. I know it's natural to worry but- sounds like you're doing a-ok:)