Saturday, September 17, 2011

Worse than nails on a chalkboard...

I made Taco Soup for dinner the other night. It's been cooling down here and the crisp, fall air has been wonderful it it's small doses.
We all scooted up to the counter with our bowls of warm soup garnished with tortilla chips. I was enjoying my meal. After a few bites I decided to scoop my soup with the chips. I had the perfect chips, holding up the perfect amount of soup, and I took the perfectly hard bite...pain shot through my teeth. I had chomped down on something terribly hard. My body shuddered as my teeth ground together, my salivary glands went haywire, and the thunder in my head was deafening. Dave's head whipped in my direction at the sound he heard resonating from my mouth.
I promptly spit the entire bite out onto the counter. I was certain I had broken teeth and was chewing on bits and pieces of them. Alas, was lay in the masticated pile was a rock. I had bit it so hard, it broke in half. It was about the size of a pea and was embedded in a piece of diced tomatoes.
I was traumatized. My appetite entirely disappeared and I was sick to my stomach. It took all of us quite a bit longer to finish our meals and we were all chewing so gingerly teeth weren't even a requirement.
If the can of tomatoes hadn't come from my food storage and the receipt been disposed of months prior, you can bet I wouldn't have sought some sort of compensation as it is, every time I recall the experience, I shudder. I no longer feel the same way about taco soup.

No comments: